Vote “plumping” at Vision

Sun

I am moving to day so therev is not much time to blog. But as I am being paid to write about the Vancouver election, and so far have concentrated on the NPA, I must point to this article. All about second preferences and  Gregor Roberston. I am not sure I understand it but no doubt our regular band of comments will

June 11, 2008 at 9:00 am

Posted in politics

1. Though Robertson may be best poised to take on Ladner and the NPA (I hesitate to say “rejuvinated NPA” because it’s still a divided political organization and the divide could widen), such tactics to tinker with an accepted party election system at the last minute by backroom arm-twisting PO’s a lot of people. Raymond Louie is looking more honest now to those who see De Genova as divisive to Vision as Sam was to the NPA.

To win the mayoralty race in Vancouver is an extraordinarily large prize not just for the two week Olympic exposure, but because one’s profile is elevated nationally. Don’t be surprised if Sam runs for Gordo’s Party or the feds on the right-wing side.

After decades of cynicism I believe there is a real hunger in the population for leaders who are devoted to the electorate instead of to shallow self-aggrandizement or idealogical myopia. An honest politician (admittedly now an endangered species, especially with the advent of respect amongst pundits for hard-nosed engineered political strategy) with the right message will probably go a longs ways.

June 11, 2008 at 9:45 am

2. Hi Stephen,

I need your email cuz I want to invite you to a transportation workshop CCPA is putting on this summer.

Cheers,

Marc

Marc Lee

June 12, 2008 at 10:41 am

3. I agree with Meredith up to a point – as someone who just rejoined Vision, I’m not impressed with all the wrangling over this issue. And I was already leaning toward voting for Louie, a competent and straightforward guy who seems to know what he’s talking about. But I’m not impressed with the Louie campaign either for wanting to disenfranchise people who only select one candidate.

And the Robertson campaign’s tactic could be shortsighted. Robertson would be my second choice, as I think he would be a good candidate and mayor. (De Genova might too — the problem is he’s running for the wrong party.) I realize this tactic isn’t aimed at people who’re thinking the way I am (and if Louie finishes first or second on the basis of people’s first preferences, my second choice would be irrelevant), but Robertson could well end up winning or losing based on how many people pick him as their second choice.

I was going to say “oh well, at least there’s always COPE,” but then their current internal politics are also somewhat … well, choose your adjective. It seems like in Vancouver we’re doomed to replicate the byzantine and bitter intra-party battles of BC provincial politics at the local level.

obscurantist

June 12, 2008 at 12:07 pm

4. So according to Frances Bula’s City States blog, “the Louie campaign and the De Genova campaign are preparing to tell each of their sets of supporters to mark the other candidate as their second choice” in order to defeat Robertson. If that’s true, that could backfire on them.

I’ve supported Louie, partly because I’m leery of the Robertson personality-cult bandwagon. But if Louie’s organizers think they can count on his supporters to strike an alliance with a centre-right former NPAer backed by provincial and federal Liberals in order to stop an NDP MLA from becoming the mayoral candidate, they might be badly misjudging the nature of Vision Vancouver’s membership. And if they aren’t misjudging, then maybe I’m in the wrong party.

obscurantist

June 12, 2008 at 1:56 pm

5. Ahhh the backroom machinations ….. petty politics, all of it. In a perfect world policy would count most.

If De Genova wins, count on COPE nominating David Cadman who will split the centre-left vote and ensure another NPA majority. That isn’t strategy, it’s arithmetic.

June 12, 2008 at 4:11 pm