Double Deckers for Vancouver

Translink is saying that it will start trials of doubledeck buses this year. I just came across a picture of a German bus in Berlin

NEOMAN_A39_2007-03-15

This is a Lion’s City DD (A39) by manufacturer MAN – and is 13.73 m long (just over 45′ or five feet longer than the current fleet of single deckers. The feature that caught my eye was the three sets of doors – just as we have on the 60 foot artics currently in use. My bet would be that this has two staircases – as seems to be common in many large double deckers these days. These should speed dwell times at stops, which can be an issue with large capacity double deckers. I imagine that Translink will be using the Alexander Dennis buses which both BC Transit in Victoria and GO Transit in Toronto use, to avoid the usual performance of getting new vehicles certified for use in Canada.

By the way the capacity of the illustrated bus is 129.

September 19, 2017 at 12:06 pm

Posted in Transportation

1. So, Vancouver might just catch up to other large Canadian cities like Toronto & Victoria.

jeffpatterson72

September 19, 2017 at 12:39 pm

2. The new CEO was formerly with Seattle – where double deckers have been in use by Sound Transit and Everett for some time.

Victoria is not my idea of a large city!

September 19, 2017 at 12:54 pm

3. Three doors on urban single-deck buses would be good to see as well. They’re pretty much the norm in Europe and certainly help speed alighting (and boarding where all door boarding is used) and also help ensure the rear of the bus is used – so many riders in Vancouver seem afraid to stand there, especially.

Ian Fisher (@electricyvr)

September 19, 2017 at 2:04 pm

4. i prefer my blurry diagonal berlin double decker shots 🙂 #ymmv
    blurry berlin bus
    //embedr.flickr.com/assets/client-code.js

5. I just had a look at the Alexander Dennis Enviro500 double deck coach on their site: http://www.alexander-dennis.com/products/enviro500/ They come as large as 135 passengers in a three door, two staircase, three axle configuration. I’d like to see those on the 99 B-Line!

Maybe I’ll get to drive one – I recently started driving for West Vancouver Transit.

Marc Erickson

September 21, 2017 at 2:05 pm

6. At the Mayors’ Council this morning it was announced that they will be 80 seat buses. It will be a two month pilot project.

September 21, 2017 at 2:45 pm

7. How many standees can the 80 seaters accommodate?

Marc Erickson

September 21, 2017 at 3:48 pm

8. I don’t know but assume that they are using the same Enviro500s as GO and BCT – maybe the AD site will help?

In London the inflexible rule used to be “no standing on the top” – but that does not seem to apply elsewhere/other times

September 21, 2017 at 3:57 pm